With the oldest model 70s now 80 years old, the condition of collectible rifles range from new-in-the-box, to aging shooters which have begun to brown with the natural patina of nearly a century in the woods. Add to this the fact the pre-64 model 70 is the world's most popular platform on which to build a custom rifle, and the variety of parts model 70 owners are seeking truly includes every imaginable condition. In an effort to meet every model 70 owner's needs, we are pleased to offer rifle parts which span this broad spectrum of conditions. We want you to receive a part which looks exactly right on your vintage rifle, or is precisely what you need to complete your custom masterpiece. What we want to avoid is you ever receiving a part from us which is different than what you expected. This guide contains important information on part conditions which will help you identify exactly the right part for your gun.
The product title only tells part of the story
In many cases, we will include a brief description of product condition in the title of every part. These condition labels in the product title are there to help you quickly navigate to the parts you want and ignore the parts you may not be interested in. For example, a part title may read...
"1955 Sporter Floor Plate - 50% Bluing"
This tells you that as much as 50% of the bluing may be worn on the part, but can't convey the entire story about metal wear, tool marks and other condition details. In the example below, we have two Sporter floor plates, each with approximately 50% bluing wear, but their actual condition is very different.
The types of descriptors you will find included in the titles include percent of bluing loss, whether or not the part has been reblued, the presence of freckling, patina, or modifications, and if a part is a reproduction.
The photos and description are important
Because the complete story of a part's condition cannot be conveyed in the title, we include detailed photos and condition information for every part.
We use the NRA Modern Gun Condition Standards Grading System. When applicable, one of the following grades will be assigned to booth rifles and parts sold on this site:
- NEW: Not previously sold at retail, in same condition as current factory production.
- PERFECT: In New condition in every respect. (Many collectors & dealers use "As New" to describe this condition).
- EXCELLENT: New condition, used but little, no noticeable marring of wood or metal, bluing perfect, (except at muzzle or sharp edges).
- VERY GOOD: In perfect working condition, no appreciable wear on working surfaces, no corrosion or pitting, only minor surface dents or scratches.
- GOOD: In safe working condition, minor wear on working surfaces, no broken parts, no corrosion or pitting that will interfere with proper functioning.
- FAIR: In safe working condition but well worn, perhaps requiring replacement of minor parts or adjustments which should be indicated in advertisement, no rust, but may have corrosion pits which do not render article unsafe or inoperable.
We also use the Percentage of Original Finish System, as described in Fjestad's excellent price guide. This is a number which represents an estimate of the remaining factory bluing on a rifle or part. In it's purest sense, this system does not apply to reblued parts. However, a reblued part on pre64win.com will be noted as reblued, AND, if the reblued finish has some wear, we will include a percentage to describe it (e.g. "90% REBLUE").
In addition to the NRA grade and finish percentage, we will do our best to include closeup photos of any visible defects. We will also describe any noteworthy condition issues in the part description. Specific things we will photograph and/or describe include:
- Bluing loss and edge wear
- Evidence of cold-bluing or other part finish repairs
- Rust or pitting
- Scratches, scrapes and gouges
- Tool marks
For barrels, we will describe any pitting, dark spots or rifling wear we can detect in the bore. For stocks, we will describe any cracks, bedding, repairs, or any other defects and modifications which may be difficult to see in a photo. In short, we genuinely want you to be delighted with your purchase, which is why we do our best to reflect the true part condition in our photos and part descriptions.
You are protected by our guarantee
Because we want you to be delighted with your purchase from pre64win.com, we offer a 100% satisfaction guarantee. If you receive your part and it was not quite what you had expected, we are happy to refund your purchase price or exchange your item.